Saturday, November 10, 2012

kryptonite


This is what my kryptonite is.  It's absolutely oh em gee delicious.  I hardly ever eat candy but I can't stop eating this.  A friend gave me this recipe not too long ago and I just couldn't believe how easy and quick it was to throw together.  The only thing that took some time was waiting for the candy to set.  My friend had told me that I could throw it in the freezer for a few minutes to quicken the cooling process but, seeing as how I made this last night at 10pm, I figured I didn't need to quicken the cooling process.  I just let it set up on the counter overnight.  It's too good not to share.  Five ingredients and no candy thermometer needed!  

All you need for the almond roca is:
  • 2 sticks of butter
  • 1 rounded cup of sugar
  •  2 tablespoons of water
  • 1 cup of almonds, chopped
  • 1/2 cup of almonds, finely chopped, for sprinkling
  • 1 to 1 1/2 cup of chocolate chips

Grease a 13 x 9 cookie sheet.  Combine first 3 ingredients on high heat, stirring constantly, until you get a smooth caramel color.  Very important to keep a close on eye it because it changes quite fast on you.  Take the candy off the heat once you achieve caramel wonderfulness and stir 1 cup of chopped almonds. Spread evenly onto the cookie sheet.  Be careful spreading the candy on the cookie sheet because it is VERY VERY hot.  While the candy is still relatively warm, sprinkle chocolate chips on top and let them melt.  Use a rubber spatula to spread it over the candy.  While the chocolate is still melted, sprinkle finely chopped almonds over the top.


I just left it and broke it into pieces this morning.  I supposed you could score the candy while it was still warm so that when you broke it, it'll be in uniform pieces.  I liked breaking it into pieces instead.  That way, I could eat 15 small pieces and feel better about myself than if I ate 1 regular sized piece.  It's all in my head, I know this.  I couldn't find any chopped almonds so I bought whole ones and chopped them up myself.  I like biting into big chunks of almonds.  Soooo gooood!

Enjoy!  This is what the neighbors are getting this year for Christmas.  I wish I was my neighbor ..

2 comments:

  1. I love a good butter toffee! Breaking it is my favorite part. OK it is my second favorite part, the first is eating all the pieces that are too small to put on a gift plate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are kindred souls. I'm not going to lie, after all the big pieces were gone, I shamelessly ate the toffee/almond/chocolate crumbles with a spoon. It was so good!

      Delete